With rapid advancements in technology, braces are becoming more discreet and awkward smiles are becoming less visible. Invisalign is the modern day’s take on traditional braces, but without the complicated age-old metal framework. Made with high-tech CAD/CAM technology, Invisalign clear aligners have redefined the way braces look and function.
What is Invisalign?
“Invisible” braces are a relatively new treatment alternative to braces with exclusive features like removability. With teens and young adults longing for straighter teeth as well as a dazzling smile, innovations in technology have offered them choices for just that. As their name suggests, clear aligners like Invisalign are made out of thin clear plastic, making them virtually “invisible” to onlookers.
A type of removable aligner, Invisalign involves a series of custom-made clear aligners, each one aims to adjust the position of your teeth one step further to its desired position. As an added benefit, these aligners can be removed when eating or brushing your teeth, making them ideal choices to seamlessly integrate into your daily life.
Are you a candidate for Invisalign?
No matter how old you are, you can be a great candidate for Invisalign clear aligners as long as your adult teeth have fully come in and are in impeccable health.
Invisalign is a viable orthodontic treatment option for common dental problems such as:
- Overcrowded teeth: When there is a discrepancy between the size of your teeth and jaws. Overcrowded teeth can be unsightly and cause many hygiene problems.
- Uneven gaps: When there is a discrepancy between the size of your teeth and jaws or when missing teeth.
- Prominent front teeth: Also known as an increased overjet, can occur due to the position of the jaws or angulation of the teeth.
- Crossbites: When the upper and lower jaws are both maligned.
- Overbites: When upper teeth overlap significantly with the lower teeth.
- Underbites: Also known as reverse overjets, can occur when the lower teeth protrude past the front teeth.
What are the benefits of getting Invisalign?
Invisalign clear aligners are generally made in conjunction with 3D technology, making the procedure inherently painless and non-invasive.
Some other benefits you may receive with Invisalign over traditional braces are:
- Superior aesthetics: Since they are almost completely invisible, they make for great accessories to social settings. You no longer need to feel self-conscious about your smile. Instead, smile big!
- Comfort of wear: They are less irritating to the soft tissues, unlike braces that may cause nicks on your lips, cheek, and tongue.
- Removability: You can remove Invisalign aligners whenever you eat or brush your teeth. This gives you an infinite list of food options. Eat anything you want with Invisalign.
- Predictability: A great merit of Invisalign and other clear aligners is in the fact that you can visualize what the end result would look like even before the treatment has begun.
- Better oral hygiene: Clear aligners are easy to maintain. All you have to do is clean them in warm water and your fresh new smile is here to stay!
Invisalign process: How are they made?
Invisalign clear aligners are made with specialised plastic and high level technology. With the unique ClinCheck system in York’s finest orthodontic practice, we are able to show you what your finished and polished smile will look like at the end of treatment. We can tailor the treatment to ensure that you get the picture-perfect smile you have always wanted.
If you are considering getting Invisalign, it helps to know what to expect first.
Before you can receive your aligner, you must first speak to your Orthodontist. During this appointment, your teeth will be critically examined to determine if Invisalign is the best treatment option for your dental and oral health. In some cases of extreme malalignment, you may be recommended an alternative option instead.
Your Orthodontist will also acquire x-rays of your teeth to evaluate your suitability, the health of your teeth and their position in your face. These radiographs will help them get the whole picture of your mouth.
- Impression taking:
Your Orthodontist will take an impression of your oral structures and then create a digital 3D model out of it. This model will be a direct replica of your mouth and will allow the fabrication of clear aligners that perfectly compliment you and give great outcomes.
- Fabrication and seating:
The data of your oral structures will then be transferred to the fabrication plant which delivers the finished product to your Orthodontist. These custom-made Invisalign aligners will ensure a flawless fit to effectively help your teeth move into alignment.
After receiving your Invisalign clear aligners, you should schedule follow-up appointments with your Orthodontist. These appointments will help them check the progress of your treatment. Every seven to ten days, your Invisalign aligners will be swapped. If worn properly, Invisalign treatments have shown to correct malalignment as early as ten weeks.
How often should Invisalign be worn?
It is important to note that Invisalign aligners are to be worn for up to 22 hours a day. You are permitted to remove your aligners for two hours every day which means that you will have to strategically fit your removals during eating and brushing in this two-hour timeframe. It also means that you will have to wear them when you go to sleep. Consistency in wear can significantly influence your treatment length.
What to expect with Invisalign?
Receiving your Invisalign aligners is only the first step. Maintaining and wearing them regularly is when your treatment process truly begins. While the experience with Invisalign feels different for every individual, here are some things you can look to expect from your first-time wearing an Invisalign clear aligner:
- Speech: You may notice a slight lisp during the first few days of your treatment because your tongue takes time to adjust to and around the appliance. However, this goes away soon after continual wear.
- Tenderness: Another complaint consistent with Invisalign wear is the feeling of tenderness on your gums and teeth. This also should subside as your mouth adapts to the material and feel of the aligner.
How to care for your Invisalign clear aligners?
Here are a few easy tips to care for your Invisalign aligners:
- Remove before eating or drinking
- Refrain from smoking and other tobacco products
- Rinse your aligners with warm water or scrub lightly with a toothbrush when you remove them
- Brush and floss before reinserting your aligners
- Clean your trays regularly
- Limit foods with excessive artificial food colouring
Important instructions for new Invisalign users
Here’s a heads-up of some of the things you might want to be aware of before you pop your first aligner into your mouth.
- You can get attachments to speed up the process such as buttons and rubber bands
- You can also whiten your teeth when you are getting your Invisalign treatment
- You may need to carry toothbrushes where ever you go
- You will still need to wear a retainer after the Invisalign treatment
- You will need to maintain proper oral hygiene as much as you can!
Your teeth can make or break your smile. With Invisalign, you no longer have to hide behind the curtains of self-consciousness. At York’s finest orthodontic practice, we make sure that nothing comes between you and your smile.